woensdag 4 mei 2011

The FT817 loses 3 dB

In the rush to join the net of PI4NWG, I did not notice that the tuner that I always use for 145 MHz, was on the wrong band.
At first my signal was heard, later everyone agreed that Bert was not heard.

When Rob PA1X mentioned that there was something wrong, I started to check, but it was already too late.
Due to the serious mismatch, the FT-817 delivers less power.
At first I thought that the PA of the FT-817 was deceased.
But later, on the dummy load, on HF the Rig showed a sign of live.
The maximum power is now 2.5 W and the lowest power is abt 300 mW.

I can still use the FT-817 with reduced power. In many contest QSO I use the lowest possible power. I can still make 50 mW using 0.5 W and an attenuator of 10 dB.
I will miss the position for a power of 980 mW, as being the highest power for QRPp

Over the last months I encouraged other Bloggers, to use less power than 5 watts, to make a 1000 Miles per Watt QSO, when the distance is less than 5000 miles.
The maximum power of 2.5 W from the FT-817 will still give 1000 MPW to Canada and the USA.
But I will miss the extra punch of 5 watts, that I only use if necesarry.

4 opmerkingen:

  1. Hallo Bert,

    Ik heb de ronde gemist. Op dezelfde frequentie hoorde ik harde signalen uit Arnhem en omgeving.

    73, Tjeerd

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Hallo Bert, denk dat je er in de praktijk weinig van zult merken. Het is wel jammer dat er wat beschadigd is...73, Bas

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Hallo Bas, Inderdaad, je merkt er niets van. Behalve als het met 2,5 W niet lukt, dan kan je niet hoger. Ik heb vandaag al 4 QSO's gemaakt met 2,5W en ook met 1,5W. Dus dat gaat gewoon door.
    73, Bert

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Hallo Tjeerd, Ik had eindelijk weer eens tijd. Maar de pret was snel over. 73, Bert

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen